Las Alcobas Mexico City
Discreetly luxurious hotel on a chic avenue in the upmarket Polanco district. Las Alcobas is a member of Starwood’s Luxury Collection, but the intimate service and high design values set it apart from other chain hotels in Mexico City.
Polanco is one of Mexico City’s wealthiest neighborhoods, and combines low-slung, leafy residential areas with others dedicated to commerce and retail. Las Alcobas is on a fairly busy avenue that’s home to posh shops, but traffic is not especially frantic. The museum quarter is a 25-walk or five-minute taxi ride; the historic centre is half an hour by taxi or 45 minutes on the metro.
Behind an understated, glass and brick exterior (passers-by don’t realize it’s a hotel at all) is a model of sophisticated, high-quality design, which strikes you immediately upon arrival. The sleek spiral staircase, modernist-influenced décor, and muted hues are all signatures of celebrated interior design duo George Yabu and Glenn Pushelberg.
The staff manning the small, tucked-away welcome desk are ultra professional without being impersonal. Guests are appointed personal butlers and there’s the option of a wake-up coffee, tea or smoothie. Twice daily housekeeping is the norm and shoeshine service is available. Facilities include a 10-person meeting room, 24-hour fitness centre and a small spa for facials, scrubs and massages. There’s also valet parking, welcome refreshments and airport assistance available.
Thirty-five rooms, decorated in a calming palette of grey, black and white, range from stylish, small rooms to spacious, light-bathed corner suites and three penthouse suites. All feature complimentary (and amazingly well-stocked) minibars, goose-down bedding and custom-made rosewood furniture, over-sized all-marble bathrooms with rain showers, large robes, whirlpool tubs and a selection of lovely natural Manos que Curan soaps, plus electronic loos.
Breakfast is an excellent spread of fresh croissants, eggs and other hot options, cereals, fresh fruit and good coffee. Anatol, a casual restaurant at the same address run by chef Justin Ermini serves contemporary cuisine with a hint of Italian influence.
Mexico City hotel amenities at Las Alcobas:
- Fine Italian bed linens by Rivolta Carmigiani and hypoallergenic white goose down comforters and pillows
- Luxury sleep system mattress by Sterns and Fosters
- Rosewood dressing room with signature three-way mirrors and custom closet design
- Custom-made rosewood furniture, including an expansive 78-inch desk and multi-plug electrical outlets in working area
- In-room electronic safe box with electric outlet
- 42-inch flat-screen Aquos by Sharp LCD televisions
- Surround sound CD and DVD home theatre systems by BOSE
- Fully stocked mini-bar and refrigerator
- Central control for illumination, temperature control, motorized drapes and sheers, clock radio and service requirements
- Twice daily housekeeping service
- Nightly shoe shine service